Skip to main content

Labor Day Weekend on Avalanche Pass

Getting out and exploring ‘new to me’ places is one of my favorite ways to spend my time off. I literally spread the trail maps out on the floor of my small apartment and begin dreaming. I lay on the floor and trace multiple routes determining their distance and elevation, figuring out which would be best for easy day hikes, longer harder epic day hikes, and longer overnight backpacking adventures – my favorite. I always seek out the new uncharted un-highlighted (yes, I highlight all the trails on the map that I’ve spent time on) trails that I've never explored. Then I begin to list the possible routes in my notebook next to the list of my possible hiking buddies. After spending a couple hours speculating the best route for the perfect weekend, I then email the usual suspects – friends who also share my love and passion for exploring wilderness areas.
After much planning, deliberation, and soliciting partners this time I ended up going by myself. Sometimes this is the best way anyway, solo hiking is a completely different experience than going with my buddies. My awareness of the surroundings is so much greater by myself than when I go with friends and we’re chatting the entire way. I also experience the sacred time of being quiet in the most spectacular places reflecting on my life or not really thinking at all, just walking amongst the mountains. This hike near Marble Colorado was just that – a strenuous yet rejuvenating experience placed in and surrounded by the most stunning of Colorado’s West Elk Mountains. To be out on a very untraveled trail above treeline by myself is always so liberating and yet so simple. All of life’s worries seem to dissolve and all that seems to matter is staying warm, dry, well hydrated, loaded with electrolytes, blister free feet, and spotting squeaking pikas that hide in the scree fields. This sublime reality experienced above 12,000 feet is incredibly powerful, and for sure the most powerful when shared with only the marmots and pikas.

I dare to ask myself where my ‘real world’ truly resides. After 30 years of exploring wild places, it feels that is the most real ‘out there’ and not here in the coffee shop with my laptop, my smart phone, and access to everyone I know in the matter of the push of button. This access to everyone can be wonderful at times, but really, really do I need that all the time? My real world of being ‘out there’ in the wild with my boots, my journal, my camera, and the friendly marmots is about the best real world I can imagine. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raising Up a Fire: Stoked on Conservation?

Published 8/17/18 by Aldo Leopold Foundation   Like most environmental educators and park interpreters, I have a strong commitment to sharing wild places with others. The beauty and wonder of our public lands create the perfect setting to share and nurture a land ethic with learners from all walks of life. For me, it is more than just a vocation, though—care for people, land, and communities infuse every part of my life. Every day, I work to foster intimate relationships between people and their landscape both in my professional and civic life. During 2014, I was fortunate to learn from and become one of the Land Ethic Leaders during a special session of the Aldo Leopold Foundation ’s program hosted in Grand Teton National Park at the Murie Center. The experience stoked the fierce green fire within me to keep the land ethic alive and give voice to the Murie’s ecological wilderness values. Stoke, passion, adrenaline, enthusiasm are driving the desire for bigger, higher, an...

April 4, 2013 Letter to Editor

Letter to the Editor - Wilderness

Dear friends, Wilderness (with a capitol ‘w’) proposals have been brought to our attention during the past few weeks here in the Valley.  I hope you are educating yourselves and understand the opportunity that is present for us to make an incredible impact on our environment, our culture and our selves by encouraging Congress to pass the Hidden Gems Wilderness bill.  We are defined by our landscapes – it’s our clean water, clean air, recreation opportunities, our wildlife, our mountains, and our rivers who make us who we are -  we are all part of our ecological  and land community.  As members of the land community we are charged with being stewards of it and protecting it from future degradation. People in our valley appreciate having public land to play in more than most people in the country.  Hikers, bikers, para gliders, skiers (alpine, Nordic, backcountry, etc.), river runners, fishermen, hunters, snowmobilers, dirt bikers, ATV drivers, horse...